Christoph Beckermann, Ph.D.
University of Iowa Foundation Distinguished Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Director, Solidification Laboratory
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Iowa
2402 Seamans Center
Iowa City, IA 52242
Wikipedia: Christoph Beckermann
Click on the logo to go to the lab pages!
- Grundschule Hellern (Elementary School),
Germany, 1965 to 1969
- Gymnasium Carolinum (High School), Osnabrueck, Germany, 1969 to 1978
- Military Service, Germany, 1978 to 1979 (I guess, this
was no education...)
- University of Hannover (Maschinenbau), Germany, 1979 to 1982 (Vordiplom,
- Purdue University (Mechanical Engineering), USA, 1982 to 1987 (M.S.M.E., 1984;
- University of Iowa (UI), USA, 1987 to present
- Assistant Professor, 1987
- Associate Professor, 1992
- Professor, 1996
- UI Foundation Distinguished Professor, 2000 to present
Selected Service Activities
- Professional Societies: ASME (Fellow), TMS (Life Member), ASM, ASEE, AFS
- Board of Review, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, 1992 to 2012
- Associate Editor, ASME J. Heat Transfer, 1998 to 2001
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Cast Metals Research, 1999 to present
- Editorial Board, Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 2006 to 2020
- Advisory Board and Board of Review, International Journal of Metalcasting, 2007 to present
- Co-Chair, Modeling of Casting, Welding, and Advanced Solidification Processes VIII conference, 1998
- Member of Scientific or Organizing Committees of 16 International Conferences
- Symposium Organizer or Session Chair at 17 International Conferences
- Chair, Engineering Faculty Council (EFC), 2006-07
- Director, Undergraduate Program in Mechanical Engineering, 2010-14
- Member of International START and Wittgenstein Award Committee, FWF Austrian Science Fund, 2016-22
Awards and Honors
- Fulbright Award, 1982-84
- Herrick Laboratories Fellowship, Purdue University, 1982-84
- National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Award, 1989
- Marcus A. Grossmann Young Author Award (Best Paper in Metallurgical Transactions by authors under 40 years of age), ASM International, 1995
- Chairman's Award, American Metalcasting Consortium, 2001
- Acta Materialia Outstanding Referee Award, 2003
- College of Engineering Exceptional Service Award, 2002
- Sir Humphrey Davy Scientific Merit Award, American Foundry Society (AFS), 2009
- Thomas E. Barlow Award of Honor, Steel Founders Society of America (SFSA), 2009
- Bruce Chalmers Award, The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS), 2010
- College of Engineering Faculty Excellence Award for Research, 2011
- Life Member, The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS), 2012
- Highly Cited Paper, Web of Science, 2014
- Outstanding Mechanical Engineer Award, School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, 2017
- Heat Transfer Memorial Award (Science Category), The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2017
- Nagy El-Kaddah Award for Best Paper in MHD in Material Processing, The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS), 2021
- The Founders' Choice Award (for excellence of paper presented at 2021 T&O Conference), Steel Founders Society of America (SFSA), 2022
- 13 Invited Conference Keynote/Plenary Lectures
- 42 Invited Lectures at Conference Symposia or Sessions
- 10 Invited Journal Papers and Book Chapters
- 60 Invited Seminars at Universities, National Laboratories and Companies
- 25 Ph.D. Students and 23 M.S. Students Graduated
- 12 Post-docs/Research Engineers and 20 Visiting Scholars Supervised
- 25 Times Instructor in "Solidification Course" in Switzerland
- $20 Million (roughly) in External Research Funding Secured
- Solidification Science
- Metal Casting
- Thermal and Fluid Sciences
Publications (updated November 2021)
...playing tenor saxophone (on the right) at the 2003 departmental picnic.
...sailing on the Baltic Sea in 2004.
...skiing in Colorado in 2005.
...playing the Alphorn in Switzerland in 2006.
...on the cover of Iowa Engineer in 2007.
...receiving the 2010 Bruce Chalmers Award from 2009 TMS President Ray Peterson.
...paragliding in Les Diablerets, Switzerland, 2010.
...receiving the 2017 Purdue University Outstanding Mechanical Engineer Award.